Table of Contents
Payments contains links to or integrations with FIs and with Facebook Companies. When you interact with these FIs or Facebook Companies, you may be providing information directly to them, to WhatsApp, or to both. These FIs and Facebook Companies will have their own policies describing the collection, use, and disclosure of information by them. We encourage you to review the policies of these FIs and Facebook Companies.
Please also see WhatsApp’s general Terms of Service (“WhatsApp Terms”), which describe the terms under which you use our Services and also apply to Payments, as well as our WhatsApp Business Terms, which describe the terms under which you use our Business Services. The WhatsApp Payments Terms of Service (“WhatsApp Payments Terms”) supplement the WhatsApp Terms and WhatsApp Business Terms, govern your use of Payments, and describe Payments in more detail.
Please read all of these documents carefully.
Back to top
Information We Collect
We receive the following additional information related to your use of Payments.
Information You Provide
- Registration and Setup Information. When you register to use Payments, we require you to provide information about your payment method, security preferences, and other information that identifies you. If you choose to do so, you may set up and use the security features provided by your device’s operating system to authorize a payment. Before allowing you to send funds, you may be asked to demonstrate that you are authorized to use your payment method by providing us a one-time password, deposit information, or other identifying information.
Information Others Provide About You
- Other Users and Businesses. We receive information about you from other users and businesses. For example, when other users or businesses you know use our Services or Business Services, they may provide information about their transactions with you, just as you may provide information to us about your transactions with them. We require each of these users and businesses to have lawful rights to collect, use, and share your information before providing any information to us.
- Third-Party Service Providers. We work with service providers to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market Payments; provide customer support; and keep our system safe and secure. These companies may provide us information about you or your Payments activity; for example, customer support service agents may relay information that you provide while resolving an issue with Payments.
Back to top
How We Use Information
We use all the information we have to operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services and Business Services, including Payments.
- Our Services. We operate, provide, develop, market and improve our Services and Business Services, including determining eligibility for payments, registering you as a user of payments, providing you with Payments and customer support for our Services and Business Services.
- Safety and Security. We promote safety and security, combat harmful conduct, maintain the integrity of our Services or Business Services, and assess malfunctions or any performance or security incident. We also review your account activity to determine whether you continue to meet our WhatsApp Terms, WhatsApp Business Terms, and WhatsApp Payments Terms.
- Legal Purposes. We may use your information for legal purposes, such as to comply with our legal obligations, enforce our terms and policies, or to address complaints or claims related to conduct that infringes our WhatsApp Terms or WhatsApp Business Terms.
- Analytics. We generate statistics and reports regarding your use of Payments in order to provide you with better services.
Back to top
Information You And We Share
We share your information to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market Payments and to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, safety, security, abuse, or other misconduct. Use of your information once it has been shared by WhatsApp is described below.
- Payment Senders and Recipients. When you use Payments, the people with whom you send or receive payments may store or reshare information about you or your transactions with others, including other Facebook Companies, on or off our Services or Business Services. When you send or receive payments, we provide information about you and the transaction to the user with whom you transact, including the amount of the transaction and one or more transaction IDs. Additional information about you and the transaction may also be available on third-party websites or services using transaction IDs that we provide as part of a transaction confirmation.
- Third-Party Service Providers. WhatsApp works with service providers and shares information with these service providers for the purposes listed above. For example, we share information about you and your transactions, such as the amount and status of a transaction, with third-party service providers who provide customer support on our behalf. When we share information with third-party service providers in this capacity, we require them to use your information on our behalf in accordance with our instructions and terms.
To facilitate Payments, WhatsApp may transfer, store, or process your information with these third parties or Facebook Companies that may be located in your jurisdiction or in other jurisdictions.
Back to top
Managing your Information
Back to top
Updates To Our Policy
Back to top