WhatsApp is a fast, simple and reliable way to talk to anyone in the world. More than 1 billion people in over 180 countries use WhatsApp to stay in touch with friends and family, anytime and anywhere. WhatsApp is not only free but also available on multiple mobile devices and in low connectivity areas — making it accessible and reliable wherever you are. It's a simple and secure way to share your favorite moments, send important information or catch up with a friend. WhatsApp helps people connect and share no matter where they are in the world.
We are looking for a Language Lead, Manager to manage a team of Language Leads. We want Language Leads to develop strong opinions and points of view about how WhatsApp needs to address users in their markets of expertise; to truly localize for them. This role needs to foster that type of ownership in each Language Lead.
- Provide mentorship, guidance and career development to a new team of Language Leads responsible for the localization of WhatsApp content for our top markets.
- Craft expectations and goals for the Language Leads team that drive alignment with the Localization Team's and WhatsApp's missions.
- Develop and implement meaningful KPIs.
- Provide support in navigating change as Localization processes, tools and the company's business needs evolve.
- Work with peer leaders within the Customer Operations team to ensure collaboration and transparency across verticals.
- Develop a strong partnership with the Market team to ensure close collaboration and knowledge transfer.
- Evangelize localization best practices with cross-functional partners.
- Raise awareness of and teach them about localization processes, requirements and timelines.
- Work closely with the Content and Localization team to improve upon existing quality standards.
- Ensure the Language Leads address localization challenges that pertain to style, consistency, and user experience in their respective languages.
- Work collaboratively with peers in global offices and with our localization vendor.
- Ensure that Language Leads across geographies work together as a cohesive team that provides consistent quality in line with the company's mission.
- Build empathy and passion for user experience in international markets.
- Be an internal advocate for the global WhatsApp user base.
- Challenge Language Leads to always dig deeper.
- BA/BS or equivalent 4-year university degree
- 2+ years of people management experience or leadership roles within teams
- 3+ years of experience in software localization, translation, QA testing
- Experience leading a team of translators, LQA testers or localizers
- Localization thought leadership experience: track record of managing localization processes to deliver on localization-related projects to clients/stakeholders through innovation and continuous improvement
- Communication: demonstrated experience in evangelizing and teaching localization best practices and processes to a variety of stakeholders
- Eligible to work in the US
- No international relocation
- M.A. in Translation, Linguistics, or similar field of study
- Experience with localization platforms, file formats and CAT tools that manage and/or automate the translation workflow
- 5+ years of relevant experience in software localization, QA testing, Linguistic QA management
- Demonstrated knowledge of internationalization and localization processes, standards and current trends
- Bilingual in English and a foreign language
- A thoughtfully developed sense of humor
WhatsApp is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. You may view Facebook’s Pay Transparency Policy and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notice by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, WhatsApp participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
WhatsApp is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com .