WhatsApp is the world's fastest growing communication company with over 1 billion active users globally. We help bring friends, families, communities, soccer groups, storm chasers and millions of others together. We are just getting started. We are looking for the best individuals to grow and support this incredible community of users. WhatsApp has been ranked as one of the Top 25 Most downloaded apps in over 100 countries on the App Store and has received over 1 billion installs on Google Play. This position will support our business team and will involve a wide-range of global work related to our monetization, commerce and payments initiatives and will include transaction, product and regulatory counseling. You must have flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and organizational needs. In addition, you must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced, small but growing environment and work proactively with various teams, including the business, marketing, product management, engineering, finance, tax, policy, communications and customer support teams. This is a full-time position based in WhatsApp’s offices in Menlo Park, California. The position will report to WhatsApp’s Associate General Counsel.
- Provide strategic and tactical legal advice to our business team to support their monetization, commerce and payments initiatives.
- Support and negotiate a wide-range of related transactions on a global basis, including those related to enterprise, software and product.
- Counsel on product development and international regulatory issues related to these initiatives.
- Provide guidance in areas related to international laws related to marketing, advertising, spam, consumer protection, privacy, data security, intellectual property and other relevant areas as needed.
- Collaborate with the business, marketing, product management, engineering, finance, tax, policy, communications and customer support teams.
- Support other areas across the team as necessary.
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one state bar.
- 5+ years of combined law firm and in-house experience for Internet or technology companies.
- Experience supporting a global business team in the areas of monetization, commerce and payments.
- Experience across transactions, product and international regulatory counseling related to global monetization, commerce, payments, enterprise licensing, marketing, advertising, spam, consumer protection, privacy, data security and intellectual property law.