WhatsApp is a fast, simple and reliable way to talk to anyone in the world. More than 1 billion people in over 180 countries use WhatsApp to stay in touch with friends and family, anytime and anywhere. WhatsApp is not only free but also available on multiple mobile devices and in low connectivity areas — making it accessible and reliable wherever you are. It's a simple and secure way to share your favorite moments, send important information or catch up with a friend. WhatsApp helps people connect and share no matter where they are in the world. This position will support our business team and will involve a wide-range of global work related to our monetization, commerce and payments initiatives and will include transaction, product and regulatory counseling. You must have flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and organizational needs. In addition, you must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced, small but growing environment and work proactively with various teams, including the business, marketing, product management, engineering, finance, tax, policy, communications and customer support teams. This is a full-time position based in WhatsApp's offices in Menlo Park, California. The position will report to WhatsApp's Associate General Counsel.
- Provide strategic and tactical legal advice to our business team to support their monetization, commerce and payments initiatives.
- Support and negotiate a wide-range of related transactions on a global basis, including those related to enterprise, software and product.
- Counsel on product development and international regulatory issues related to these initiatives.
- Provide guidance in areas related to international laws related to marketing, advertising, spam, consumer protection, privacy, data security, intellectual property and other relevant areas as needed.
- Collaborate with the business, marketing, product management, engineering, finance, tax, policy, communications and customer support teams.
- Support other areas across the team as necessary.
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one state bar.
- 5+ years of combined law firm and in-house experience for Internet or technology companies.
- Experience supporting a global business team in the areas of monetization, commerce and payments.
- Experience across transactions, product and international regulatory counseling related to global monetization, commerce, payments, enterprise licensing, marketing, advertising, spam, consumer protection, privacy, data security and intellectual property law.