Language Lead - (Brazilian Portuguese)
Menlo Park, California, US
WhatsApp is a fast, simple and reliable way to talk to anyone in the world. More than 1 billion people in over 180 countries use WhatsApp to stay in touch with friends and family, anytime and anywhere. WhatsApp is not only free but also available on multiple mobile devices and in low connectivity areas — making it accessible and reliable wherever you are. It's a simple and secure way to share your favorite moments, send important information or catch up with a friend. WhatsApp helps people connect and share no matter where they are in the world.
- Translate, review and proofread WhatsApp UI strings, Support, Marketing, PR and Legal content
- Review all UI, Marketing and Legal content translated by the vendor for new launches and existing products. Act as the quality gatekeeper, voice and market ambassador for the target language.
- Develop and maintain key relationships with vendor linguists: regularly communicate with them to align and calibrate language, style and terminology. Clarify quality expectations and maintain/tweak quality control processes
- Thoroughly QA all localized content and apps to ensure consistent messaging and proper functionality
- Coordinate creation and maintenance of linguistic assets (TMs, glossaries, style guides, reference material) for the language/market of expertise
- Communicate efficiently with product managers, localization project managers and the customer operation team to align with project requirements and quality standards
- Provide inputs on UI, UX and design for products launching in International markets. Identify and fix linguistic and cultural issues before launch
- Remain curious about the WhatsApp usage and style that works best in the target market. Remain confident that you have the network and research ability to satisfy this curiosity.
- 3+ years of experience in software localization or translation / review for high tech companies
- BA/BS or equivalent 4-year university degree. Translation, Linguistics, or similar field of study.
- Proven track record of high quality translation and localization experience for software applications.
- Fluency in native language
- Attention to detail
- Ability to explain linguistic challenges and cultural questions and concepts to diverse stakeholders
- Ability to stay focused under pressure. Prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with localization platforms, file formats and CAT tools that manage and/or automate the translation workflow
- Eligible to work in the US
- No international relocation
- M.A. in Translation, Linguistics, or similar field of study
- 5+ years of relevant experience in software localization, QA testing, Linguistic QA
- Demonstrated knowledge of internationalization and localization standards and best practices
- A thoughtfully developed sense of humor
WhatsApp is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at +1 650-308-7837.