Counsel, Compliance & Regulatory
Menlo Park, California, US
This role will handle cutting-edge and complex legal matters involving global regulatory and compliance issues. You must have flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and organizational needs. In addition, you must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced, small, but growing environment and work collaboratively and proactively with the legal team as well as other internal and external stakeholders. This is a full-time position based at our headquarters in Menlo Park, CA.
- Provide legal counsel on privacy and regulatory compliance matters furthering WhatsApp’s initiatives to better connect users
- Support regulatory compliance teams with respect to data investigations and regulatory obligations under applicable law and regulation around the world
- Draft and negotiate various types of agreements, including data processing agreements, vendor agreements, and marketing agreements
- Support customer operations team with respect to user education and general product matters
- Advise on operational product, privacy and regulatory compliance programs, including creating and maintaining compliance documentation such as data processing impact assessments, inter-company agreements, and data incident response plans
- Collaborate with other members of the WhatsApp and Facebook legal teams to support compliance efforts such as processing user rights inquiries and data incident investigations
- Must be flexible and willing to work on projects in other areas, including areas involving unfamiliar subject matter
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- 3+ years attorney experience handling data privacy matters and work supporting related regulatory and compliance matters
- Experience with both U.S. and international data protection and data security law
- Experience developing approaches to legal challenges with a track record providing business-focused legal advice
- Experience working with mobile and/or Internet and technology companies
- Experience handling projects with cross-functional stakeholders
- Experience handling data security and related investigation matters
- Experience with privacy compliance documentation in global jurisdictions, including Europe
WhatsApp is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at +1 650-308-7837.