Lead Counsel, Whatsapp EMEA
WhatsApp is a fast-growing communication company with over 1 billion active users globally. We help bring friends, families, communities, sports groups, drama groups, storm chasers, and millions of others together. We are looking for the best individuals to grow and support this incredible community of users. WhatsApp has been ranked as one of the Top 25 most downloaded apps in over 100 countries in the Apple App Store and has received over 1 Billion installs from Google Play.
This role involves leading and handling cutting-edge and complex legal matters and projects involving privacy and other regulatory areas across the EMEA region. You must have flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and organizational needs. In addition, you must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced, small but growing environment and work collaboratively and proactively with the legal teams well as other internal and external stakeholders. This is a full-time position, and you will need to be based in Dublin, Ireland to fulfill this role.
- Advising the company in a wide variety of areas including consumer law, regulatory, technology, marketing, commercial contracts, and privacy law
- Implement compliance strategy with applicable law and regulations across EMEA relating to privacy, security, consumer protection, marketing, competition, and telecom, among other areas
- Collaborate with teams across departments and offices, including legal colleagues and key partners in both WhatsApp and Facebook
- Assist the Associate General Counsel, EMEA in preparing for and representing company before regulators and other relevant parties across EMEA
- Support regulatory compliance and other counseling matters across EMEA
- Support other areas as necessary across EMEA
- Review and advise on pending and developing applicable law and regulation across EMEA, working with the policy team
- Solicitor or barrister (qualified to practice law in a European member state) at least 4 years post qualification experience gained at a major law firm and/or in-house experience with technology and/or telecom companies
- Experience in at least 2 of the following areas: technology, privacy, security, consumer protection, marketing, competition, and telecom experience, including engagement experiences and relationships with applicable regulatory bodies across EMEA
- Experience learning and mastering new areas of law and regulation in a variety of jurisdictions
- Experience developing innovative and pragmatic approaches to complex legal challenges with a proven track record providing concise and business-focused legal advice
- Experience working with outside counsel
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment and provide advice under tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to lead and advance large, complex projects in matrixed environments with cross functional stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an absolute commitment to teamwork, professionalism, collegiality, and communication
- Must be flexible and willing to work on projects in other areas, including areas involving unfamiliar subject matters
- Ability to live in Dublin, Ireland
- Ability to travel throughout EMEA, to the US, and globally
- Strong communication skills
- Irish qualified solicitor or barrister
- Data Protection experience a plus
- Knowledge of, or fluency in, other European languages (German, French, Spanish, Italian, etc.) is helpful.
WhatsApp is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at +1 650-308-7837.