How do I send media, documents, location or contacts?
To send media, documents, location or contacts
- Open the chat window in WhatsApp with the contact you would like to send to.
- Tap the Send Media button (pictured below).
- Select the type of media you would like to share.
Take a new photo or video
- Tap Take Photo or Video to take a new photo or video with your iPhone's Camera.
- Preview and add a caption if you like, then tap Send.
You will need to grant the app permission to access your iPhone's Camera in iPhone Settings > Privacy > Camera.
Note: Videos that are recorded using WhatsApp are limited to 16MB.
Send an existing photo or video
- Tap Photo/Video Library to select one or more photos or videos from your iPhone's Camera Roll or albums.
- Tap the + button to select multiple photos or videos at once.
- Preview and add captions if you like, then tap Send.
You can also tap Choose from another app... at the bottom of the screen for more options.
You will need to grant the app permission to access your iPhone's Photos in iPhone Settings > Privacy > Photos.
Note: Videos are limited to 16MB, and WhatsApp will give you the option to trim videos over that size prior to sending.
Share a document
- Tap Share Document to select a document from iCloud Drive or other apps such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, etc.
- Select the document you would like to share, then tap Send.
Note: WhatsApp only supports sending PDF files at this time, and the maximum allowed file size is 100 MB. For more information, read this FAQ article.
Share a location
- Tap Share Location to display a list of nearby locations.
- Select from the list of nearby places or search for a specific place.
When you share a named place, a link will be sent to your recipient(s) with additional information about the place, using data provided by Facebook, Google, or Foursquare. Alternatively, you can send a pin of your current map location by tapping Send Your Location.
You will need to grant the app permission to access your iPhone's Location Services in iPhone Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
Share a contact
- Tap Share Contact to display all of your iPhone's contacts.
- Select a contact from the contact picker, then tap Send.
By default, all details stored in the phone's address book for the selected contact will be shared. You can tap items on the Contact Info screen to deselect information that you do not want to be shared.
You will need to grant the app permission to access your iPhone's Contacts in iPhone Settings > Privacy > Contacts.
WhatsApp Support Team