How do I recover deleted messages?
Since your WhatsApp conversation history is not stored on our servers, we cannot retrieve any deleted messages for you. In WhatsApp version 2.10.1 and later, you can use our iCloud backup feature to back up and restore your chat history.
Using iCloud backup will save your WhatsApp chats and media to your iCloud account. Please note that videos are excluded from iCloud backup, in order to save space in the backup. The iCloud backup process can take awhile to complete, depending on your Internet connection and backup size.
You can make a manual backup of your chats at any time in WhatsApp Settings > Chat Settings > Chat Backup and tap Back Up Now. You can also enable automatic, scheduled backups by tapping Auto Backup and then choosing your backup frequency.
- Must have iOS 5.1 or later.
- Must be signed into iCloud (iPhone Settings > iCloud).
- Documents & Data (iPhone Settings > iCloud > Documents & Data) must be set to ON.
- Enough free iCloud space for your chat history and WhatsApp photos, voice messages, and audio notes.
- Enough free space on your iPhone to create the backup.
Using iCloud on cellular data
If you are concerned about your cellular data usage, we recommend that you limit your iCloud to only back up while on Wi-Fi. To disable iCloud while on cellular data, go to iPhone Settings > iCloud > Documents & Data and turn Use Cellular Data to off.
Recover chat history from iCloud
To recover your chat history from an iCloud backup, first verify that there is an iCloud backup for your chat history in WhatsApp Settings > Chat Settings > Chat Backup. If you can see when the last backup was performed, simply delete and reinstall the app from the App Store. After verifying your phone number, follow the on-screen prompts to restore your chat history. The same iCloud backup requirements apply for iCloud restore. In addition, the phone number used for backing up and restoring must be the same. I.e., you cannot restore the chat history from another WhatsApp account. If you share an iCloud account, this will allow you to keep your backups separate.
If you have previously backed up your iPhone using iTunes or iCloud, you may be able retrieve your WhatsApp chats by restoring your iPhone from a previous iPhone backup. Learn more about backing up and restoring your iPhone from this Apple Support page.
You can also email yourself your chat history if you would like to save a conversation:
- Open the WhatsApp Conversation you want to email.
- Tap the contact's name or group subject in the navigation bar.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Email Conversation.
- Select if you want to Attach Media or email the conversation Without Media.
- Enter your email address and tap Send.
WhatsApp Support Team