I am having trouble verifying my phone number in WhatsApp
This article covers the two main issues with the verification process:
You did not receive your verification code
WhatsApp will send you an SMS message containing a code that you will use to verify your number. If the SMS verification does not work, you will be directed to request a voice call with a verification code.
Check the following if you did not receive your code:
Make sure you input your number in the full international format.
- Enter your country code in the first box, or select from the country list. If you do not know it, you can find it here.
- Enter your phone number in the second box. Do not put any extra 0’s before your number.
Make sure that your Windows Phone has full internet access with a strong signal. Try opening a web page on your phone to make sure you’re connected to the internet. If you think you have a connection problem please read here.
Go to Windows Phone Settings > date+time, and make sure the phone’s date and time are configured to Set automatically.
Reboot your phone (power off, wait for a few seconds, and power on).
Check your SMS credits and payments. Confirm with your mobile provider that you are able to receive SMS messages and phone calls.
Wait until the verification time counter is complete. This may take up to five minutes, so please be patient.
- If you do not receive your code via SMS after five minutes, you will see the call me option. If you select this option and do not receive the call, make sure that you do not have any form of call screening turned on, and confirm with your mobile provider that you can receive phone calls.
If all this fails please go back through and double check the tips. There might be an issue with your mobile provider or your phone. In some cases, you might have to contact your mobile provider to configure your APN (Access Point Name) settings.
As a final step, if you still have not received your code, then please uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp.
You received an error message
These are some error messages you may receive:
“You have requested your code too many times.”
“You have requested your code recently.”
“You have guessed too many times.”
If you received one of these error messages, you have to wait the specific time indicated on your screen for your verification attempt to be reset. After waiting the specified amount of time, you can then try verifying your number again.
Here are some tips to avoid getting error messages and to verify your number easily:
- Please do not change your device frequently and do not attempt to verify your number multiple times.
- Wait patiently for the counter time to complete before requesting another code. If you try to speed up the process you will get stuck.
- Do not try to guess the verification code. It’s a unique code and changes each time you request a new code. And please make sure you enter the code correctly in the verification screen.
WhatsApp Support Team