You can get notifications for new messages when using WhatsApp Web. Notifications appear on the right side of your computer's desktop.
If you are not receiving WhatsApp Web notifications, there are a few reasons why this can happen:
- You have not yet turned on WhatsApp Web notifications in Edge.
- You have muted notifications.
- You have blocked WhatsApp Web notifications in Edge.
- You have temporarily turned off alerts and sounds for all WhatsApp Web notifications.
To turn on WhatsApp Web notifications
Click Turn on desktop notifications in the blue box at the top of the chat list.
Follow the directions on the screen and click Yes to enable WhatsApp Web notifications.
If you do not see the blue box, try refreshing the page. If you still do not see the box, you may have muted or blocked notifications from WhatsApp Web.
To unmute WhatsApp Web notifications
If you're not receiving WhatsApp Web notifications, you may have muted notifications for all websites. You can unmute by doing the following:
- Click on Windows > Settings > System > Notification & actions.
- Make sure your system notifications are configured properly to allow notifications.
- Under Get notifications from these senders, make sure the toggle for Microsoft Edge is set to On.
- For more specific settings, you can click on Microsoft Edge settings within the notification settings menu and edit specific notification settings for Microsoft Edge.
Read more about Edge notifications here.
If you still do not get notifications from WhatsApp Web, you will need to properly configure your Edge notifications settings.
To allow WhatsApp Web to send notifications
- In Edge, click Menu > Settings > View advanced settings.
- Under Notifications, click on Manage.
- Under https://web.whatsapp.com, click on the toggle to enable notification for WhatsApp Web.
- Go back to WhatsApp Web and you should now see the blue box at the top of the chat list.
- Follow the directions on the screen and click Yes to enable WhatsApp Web notifications.
To turn off WhatsApp Web notifications
You can turn off WhatsApp Web sound notifications or disable it for a specific period of time:
- To disable it altogether, open WhatsApp Web, click the Menu icon , click Settings, click Notifications and uncheck Sound.
- To disable notifications for a specific duration, go to Notifications > Turn off alerts and sounds for... and select your desired period of time.
If you wish to re-enable notifications, simply click on the Disabled Notification icon next to the New Chat icon.
Note: If you mute a group or an individual chat on your phone, it will also be muted on WhatsApp Web. All other notification settings are independent of your phone and computer and do not affect one another.
Learn how to configure Notification Settings on:
WhatsApp Support Team