How do I use group chat?
This is a very important question, as this is one of the many features of WhatsApp that is not found in SMS or text messaging. Since this article answers several questions about group chat, we have links to each section listed here:
- Creating a group.
- Adding a contact to an existing group.
- Removing contacts from a group.
- Deleting and leaving a group.
- Changing the group subject.
- Changing the group icon.
- Muting group notifications.
Creating a group
When you create a group, you become the admin of the group and have special control over who can join the group. To create a group:
- Go to the Chats screen, tap Options > New Group.
- Type in a group subject. Select Next when you are done. This will be the name of the group that all members will see.
- Add group members by tapping on Add Participants, selecting the contact's name and then tapping on Save.
- Tap Create when you are finished.
Adding a contact to an existing group
You must be the admin to add members to an existing group chat:
- In the group chat window, click Options > Group Info.
- Click on the people icon and select Add Participant.
- Select participant(s) > click Yes.
Removing contacts from a group
You must be the admin of the group to delete members from an existing group chat:
- Select Options > Group Info > click on the people icon .
- Select the contact's name > Options > Select Remove (name).
Deleting and leaving a group
If you are the admin of the group and delete it, another group member is randomly designated as the new admin of the group. To leave a group:
- Select the chat.
- Go to Options > Delete.
Changing the group subject
Any member of the group can change the subject. To do so:
- Open the group chat.
- Go to Options > Group Info.
- Type a new subject in the text field under Group Subject.
Changing the group icon
Any member of the group can change the icon. To do so:
- Open the group.
- Go to Options > Group Info > Options > Set Icon.
- Choose a new group icon.
Muting group notifications
You can mute group notifications for a certain period of time. You will still receive the messages sent to the group, but your phone will not notify you when they are received. To mute a group:
- Open the group.
- Go to Options > Group Info > Options > Mute.
Note: In a group chat you will only see one check mark indicating that the message was successfully delivered to the server.
WhatsApp Support Team