You can delete individual messages or conversations for individual chats and Group Chats. Deleted messages are permanently deleted from your phone. Read this article for information on backing up chats that you wish to save.
To delete a single message or multiple messages from a conversation
- Open the conversation or Group Chat.
- Hold your finger on a message you wish to delete.
- Tap Delete.
- Tap on the other messages you wish to delete, then tap on the trash can icon.
To delete a conversation or Group Chat
- Go to the Chats screen.
- Tap Edit in the top left corner.
- Tap on the red circle on the left of the chat you wish to delete.
- A Delete button will appear. Tap to delete.
- Note: If you delete a Group Chat, you will see an Exit button instead of Delete. After you exit, swipe left again, tap More and then tap "Delete Group". For more information on Group Chats, visit this FAQ.
Alternatively, you can swipe left on the chat in the Chats screen, tap More, then tap Delete Chat.
To clear all chat history, but continue to participate in groups
- Go to WhatsApp > Settings > Chats.
- Scroll to the bottom.
- Tap Clear All Chats.
Note: Using Clear All Chats will not remove you from any groups.
Learn how to delete messages or chats on: Android | Windows Phone | Nokia S40 | BlackBerry | Nokia S60 | BlackBerry 10
WhatsApp Support Team