How do I delete messages or chats?
You can delete individual messages, conversations, or your entire chat history by following these steps. These steps apply to individual and group chats. Deleted messages are permanently deleted from your phone. Read this article for information on backing up chats that you wish to save.
To delete a single message from a conversation
- Open the conversation or group chat.
- Scroll to the top of the conversation and tap Edit.
- Tap on the message(s) you want to delete (a check mark will appear).
- Tap the trash can icon at the bottom of the screen.
To delete a conversation or group chat
- Go to the Chats section.
- Slide your finger across the chat that you wish to delete, from right to left.
- A Delete button will appear. Tap to delete.
- NOTE: If you delete a group chat, you will be removed from the group, and must be re-invited by the group admin. If you were the group admin, a new one will be randomly appointed. More information about group chats can be found here.
To clear all chat history, but continue to participate in groups
- Go to WhatsApp > Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom.
- Tap Clear All Conversations.
- NOTE: Using Clear All Conversations will not remove you from any groups.
WhatsApp Support Team