I accidentally deleted my chats! Can I get my messages back?
- It is possible to restore deleted messages.
- Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp.
- Click Restore when prompted to restore your message history.
- Your missing chats should appear in WhatsApp!
WhatsApp automatically makes backups every day at 4 AM and stores them on the internal memory card of your BlackBerry 10 smartphone. To restore the most recent backup, you will need to uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp. If you need to restore older messages, check out "Restoring older (less recent) backups".
During the installation process, you will be prompted to restore your message history. Choose Restore to restore your missing chats.
Restoring older (less recent) backups
Before attempting to restore messages, please note:
- Current chat history will be lost upon restoration.
- There are only up to 7 days worth of backup files.
- Any new messages sent/received after a backup, and deleted before the next backup, cannot be restored.
- If you run a manual backup, it will overwrite the most recent automatic backup file.
We also recommend:
- If you do not want to lose your current history (newest messages), create a manual backup by going to:
WhatsApp > Application Menu (Swipe down the top of the screen) > Settings > Media Settings > Backup conversations.
- This manual backup file will be saved as "messageStore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt" in your /device/misc/whatsapp/backup folder. Save this file as "messageStore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt.current" so you do not get it confused with other backup files during the restoration process.
To restore from a backup, follow these steps
- Uninstall WhatsApp.
- Decide which backup file you want to restore.
- Rename that with the most recent date in it's name.
- Install WhatsApp.
- When asked to restore, tap Restore.
You will now be able to see your restored messages. If you want to revert the restoration, simply change the backup filename back to what it was and follow these steps again.
WhatsApp Support Team