How can I tell if someone has read my message?
If you see two blue check marks next to your sent message, then the recipient has read your message. In a group chat or broadcast message, the check marks will turn blue when every participant has read your message.
For any message that you send, you will be able to see a Message info screen, displaying the details of when your message was delivered, read or played by the recipient(s).
To see the Message info screen:
- Open a chat with a contact or a group.
- Tap and hold on your sent message.
- Tap .
The Message info screen shows:
- Delivered when your message is delivered to your recipient's phone, but the recipient has not yet seen it.
- Read or Seen when the recipient has read your message or seen your picture, audio file, or video. For a Voice Message, the recipient has seen but has not yet played it.
- Played when the recipient has played your Voice Message.
Please note that when a participant leaves a group, the Message info screen will still show the original information with all participants, including the participant who left the group.
If you do not see two blue check marks next to your sent message
- The recipient may not have opened your conversation.
- The recipient may be using an outdated version of WhatsApp.
- You or the recipient may be experiencing connection issues.
- You or the recipient may have disabled Read Receipts in their privacy settings.
How to turn off Read Receipts
To opt out of the Read Receipts feature, go to Settings > Account > Privacy and uncheck Read Receipts.
Note: This will not disable the Read Receipts for Group Chats or Play Receipts for Voice Messages. There is no way to turn off these features.
WhatsApp Support Team