How do I delete messages or chats?
You can delete individual messages, conversations, groups, or your entire chat history by following these steps. Deleted messages are permanently deleted from your phone. Read this article for information on backing up chats that you wish to save.
To delete one or more messages from a conversation
- Open WhatsApp and go to the chat window with the message you want to delete.
- Tap and hold on the message.
- Optionally, tap on more messages to select multiple messages.
- Tap on the trash can icon on top of the chat screen.
To delete an individual chat
- In the Chats list, tap and hold on the chat you wish to delete.
- Tap Delete chat in the menu.
To delete a group chat
- In the Chats list, tap and hold on the group chat you wish to delete.
- Tap Exit group from the menu.
- Tap and hold on the group chat again.
- Tap Delete group from the menu.
Note: If you exit a group, you will be removed from the group but will still see it in your Chats list and you will be able to read the chat history. When you delete the group, however, you will no longer see the group in your Chats list and the chat history will be erased.
To delete or clear your entire chat history
- Go to WhatsApp > Menu Button > Settings > Chats and calls.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Delete all chats or Clear all chats.
- Delete all chats will delete all conversations and all messages inside of them. You will still be in your groups and they will be visible on your Chats list.
- Clear all chats will delete all messages but leave the conversations in the Chats list.
WhatsApp Support Team