How do I delete messages or chats?
You can delete individual messages, conversations, groups, or your entire chat history by following these steps. Deleted messages are permanently deleted from your phone. Read this article for information on backing up chats that you wish to save.
To delete one or more messages from a conversation
- Open WhatsApp and go to the chat window with the message you want to delete.
- Tap and hold on the message.
- Optionally, tap on more messages to select multiple messages.
- Choose Delete from the menu.
To delete an individual chat
- In the main chats screen, tap and hold on the chat you wish to delete.
- Tap Delete conversation in the menu.
To delete a group chat
- In the main chats screen, tap and hold on the group chat you wish to delete.
- Tap Exit group from the menu.
- Tap and hold on the group chat again.
- Tap Delete group from the menu.
To delete or clear your entire chat history
- Go to WhatsApp > Settings > Chat Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Delete all conversations or Clear all conversations.
- Delete all conversations will delete all conversations and all messages inside of them. You will still be in your groups and they will be visible on your Chats list.
- Clear all conversations will delete all messages but leave the conversations in the Chats list.
WhatsApp Support Team