Verifying your phone number in WhatsApp
Having trouble verifying WhatsApp on your phone? We have step-by-step instructions for you:
Check that you entered the correct phone number for your phone. This is important!
- Type your country code in the box on the left. Not sure what that is? Read this article.
- Enter your phone number in the box on the right. Do not put any extra 0s before your number!
Make sure that you have an internet connection through Wi-Fi, cellular data, 3G, or EDGE service. If you are roaming, verification may not work correctly.
- Reboot your phone.
- Delete and reinstall to the latest version of the app. Not sure how? Read this article.
- Send a test SMS message from your phone, to your phone number exactly as it appears inside WhatsApp, including the country code.
- Is your SMS service really slow? If it took a while to receive the test SMS you sent from your phone, retry verification and wait for the progress bar to finish. This may take up to 10 minutes, so please be patient.
- If the timer runs out and verification fails, an option should appear to request a phone call.
- Choose the option to request the call, and wait a few seconds for your phone to ring. When you answer, an automated voice should tell you the activation code. Type that in. WhatsApp should now be verified.
Still reading? In the rare case that you might have applications that prevent incoming calls and texts, try these steps:
- Make sure you have disabled any call-blocking features or apps.
- Make sure you are able to receive phone calls.
- Disable any text message interceptors (for example: TextSecure, Handcent)
- Disable any task killers (for example: Advanced Task Killer)
Please note: Emulators or Android-based PCs (such as Bluestacks or Youwave) are not supported. If you are trying to verify your phone number on one of these devices, we are unable to help you.
Stuck? We’ll be happy to help you. Press the [Menu Button] and tap [Contact Support], include a description of what you have done to ensure you can get a call or SMS (did you get the SMS you sent to your phone number? What number did you use? etc.) We cannot send your code through email due to security reasons.
WhatsApp Support Team