Verifying your phone number in WhatsApp
Here are a few steps to help you through the verification process:
- Check that you entered the correct phone number for your phone. To do that, type your country code in the box on the left where it should match the chosen country. Not sure what that is? Read this article.
- Enter your phone number in the box on the right. Omit any leading zeros (0) before your number.
- Make sure that you have an Internet connection through Wi-Fi, cellular data, 3G, or EDGE service. If you are roaming, verification may not work correctly.
- Send a test SMS message from your phone, to your phone number exactly as it appears inside WhatsApp, including the country code.
- Is your SMS service really slow? If it took a while to receive the test SMS you sent from your phone, retry verification and wait for the progress bar to finish. This may take up to 10 minutes, so please be patient.
- Wait patiently for the timer at the top to count down.
- If the timer runs out and verification fails, an option should appear to request a phone call.
- Choose the option to request the call, and wait a few seconds for your phone to ring. When you answer, an automated voice should tell you the activation code. Type that in. WhatsApp should now be verified.
- When requesting the call, make sure you do not have any form of call screening turned on.
If, after finishing these steps, verification still fails, please go back through and double check the steps.
This could be an issue with your mobile provider, or it might be an issue with your phone. WhatsApp needs to verify your number and can only do that if you can either receive an SMS or a voice call. We cannot send your code through email.
WhatsApp Support Team