How do I restore my messages?
- WhatsApp automatically backs up your chats every night.
- You can initiate a restoration by simply uninstalling and reinstalling WhatsApp.
- Click Restore when prompted to restore your chats.
- Your chats should appear in WhatsApp!
WhatsApp automatically makes backups every day at 3 AM and stores them in the WhatsApp folder of your Android phone. This folder is either located in your device's internal memory or external SD card. Depending on your settings, WhatsApp could also make a backup to Google Drive. To restore the most recent backup, you will need to uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp.
If you need to restore older messages, check out "Restoring older (less recent) backups".
During the installation process, you will be prompted to restore your message history. Choose Restore to recover your chats.
If you are not prompted to restore your messages, it could be that:
- Your SD card and/or chat history is corrupted.
- Your backup is too old. WhatsApp cannot restore backups that are too old.
- You have a different phone number than when you backed up your chats.
- You do not have any chat history backups saved in your phone or Google Drive.
In any of these cases, there is no way for us to restore the messages for you.
Restoring older (less recent) backups
Before attempting to restore messages, please note:
- Current chat history will be lost upon restoration.
- There are only up to 7 days worth of backup files.
- Any new messages sent/received after a backup, and deleted before the next backup, cannot be restored.
- If you run a manual backup, it will overwrite the most recent automatic backup file.
- On newer devices, your
WhatsApp/Databasesfolder is most likely located in your device's internal memory.
- You must have the same phone number in WhatsApp that you had when you backed up your chats.
We also recommend:
- Make sure you have a file manager. This will be useful for renaming the backup files.
Here are some choices: File Managers and Explorers.
- If you do not want to lose your current history (newest messages), create a manual backup by going to:
WhatsApp > Menu Button > Settings > Chats and calls > Back up chats or Chat backup.
- This manual backup file will be saved as
/sdcard/WhatsApp/Databasesfolder. Save this file as
msgstore.db.crypt8.currentso you do not get it confused with other backup files during the restoration process.
Note: Your backup files are saved in the
/sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases folder. This folder may be located in either your device's internal memory or external memory.
To restore from a local backup, follow these steps:
- Uninstall WhatsApp.
- Decide which backup file you want to restore.
- Rename that file from
- Install WhatsApp.
- Tap Restore when asked.
You will now be able to see your restored messages. If you want to revert the restoration, simply change the backup filename back to what it was, rename
msgstore.db.crypt8, and follow these steps again.
If you are trying to restore messages from Google Drive, please read this article.
WhatsApp Support Team